Friday, May 23, 2008

I Am A Plus Size


I am saying goodbye to my fantasies of eating fries, bread and simple carbohydrates.
Okay, let's face it: I have a butt. When I eat bread it goes up, when I work out it goes down and it's even broken a fax machine once. I am curvy size 6 and proud to be so. So I found it interesting that the world rejoiced that a "plus-sized" er "full-figured" gal won America's Next Top Model, because no news outlet has said that she is above a 10. Some have even said she is a six. It is obvious that these nice words for fat have received some downsizing.

It's true that JLo and Beyonce have brought booty into the limelight (and Marilyn and Lucy made curvy hot) but there is not enough celebration of real body types in the limelight for our girls. If a twig with breasts is the standard for beauty, then our girls will never learn to appreciate their bodies, curves and all. As Stanley Tucci said in "The Devil Wears Prada," "Six is the new 14." My love-hate relationship with bread has officially turned deadly.

Ah, well. I guess this size 6 will be joining Weight Watchers. Or designing a t-shirt that says, "I Am Plus Size" just for kicks.

No comments: